Blackjack, also known as 21, is a common casino game which has gained popularity because it is easy to play. Basically, the player who has gets 21 points or which gets closest to 21 wins.
BlackJack rules and tips
The first rule of blackjack is simple: beat the croupier's hand without exceeding 21 points. If you get 21 points on your first hand, you have blackjack. When you have blackjack, the house usually has to pay you 3:2 or 2:1 of the bet value. Some casinos lower the value to 6:5 or even 7:5, which means you will get much less money in the long term. A game that pays 1:1 on any type of win is not usually worth it. Whether you are in a physical casino or playing blackjack online, the blackjack table is always presented in the same way.
Traditional casinos, as well as online blackjack casinos, will use between one and at most eight card packs per game. This helps counter the players who can count the cards or are considered to be "lucrative" players.
Values of the Blackjack cards
Cards from 2 to 10 have the value inscribed on the face of the card. The cards with pictures on them are worth 10 points, except the Ace, which is worth 1 or 11 depending on the situation. An image card combined with an Ace gets you a Blackjack (21).
Blackjack Table Basic Rules
When playing against the house, the dealer will hand out two cards face up to each player, while the house will one facing up and one facing down. After this, each player has can have already have the sum of the cards 21, or as close it can.
The player’s options
After dividing the cards, the player can choose between four standard options: hit, stand, split, double down and, at some game tables, you can also opt for surrender.
- HIT: I'm taking a card
- STAND: I do not take a card
- DOUBLE DOWN: Double the stake, I only take one single card (it is used when the player is sure the final amount is over 19)
- SPLIT: option used when the player has the two cards of the same value. He can form two hands, one for each card which then can be played according to the standard rules of the game
- SURRENDER: It is used only on some playing tables, the player has the option to withdraw after receiving the two cards, getting back only half the bet amount (this is generally used when the player has the sum of the cards received initially of 14 or 15),
The House’s options/decision:
- SOFT 17: When the dealer's cards sum is under 17, he must draw a card. If the amount is 17 or more, the dealer is no longer allowed to take another card.
- BLACKJACK: If a player has the 21 points, he receives from the house 3:2 (or other initially agreed upon ratio) x the bet amount.
- INSURANCE: When the house has the ACE as the face-up card then a player can make an insurance. This bet checks if the sum of the house is 21. If the player wins the bet, he/she receives 2x the value of the insurance.
The minimum stake at the Blackjack table
The minimum stake on the blackjack table varies from one casino to another, both in physical casinos and online casinos. The blackjack table stakes usually start at a minimum of $5, while online casinos even go as low as $1 stakes. Each casino could also have a maximum bet amount that can range between $50 and $50,000.
Blackjack has become the most popular table game played at online casinos because it’s simple and playing online offers a convenient and more cost-effective alternative for blackjack enthusiasts.
In the end, as always, whether you play online or offline don’t forget to gamble responsibly.